Syllabus and Event Details
Brewology Seminars are available at our Medford, MA location. This wildly popular educational event and coffee tasting is great fun for individuals and groups, as well as being a chance to learn in-depth information about the delicious beverage from Heirloom Coffee's expert owner, Len.
We are located at 9 Jerome Street, Medford, MA 02155. Click for Map and Directions. The location is a single-story white building with red trim and parking in front.
If you purchased admission and you want to sign up for your seminar date, click here . If you are interested in attending and have not purchased admission yet, please call us at 781-391-2255.
Brewology Event Overview
The Heirloom Coffee Brewology Event is an exciting and interactive event for any coffee lover. It is a 90-minute "seminar" in which we offer a brief presentation on the history and nature of some of the world's most exclusive and unique coffees.
(For comments and testimonials from people who have attended the Event, click here.)Southeast Asian coffees are never burnt, never bitter, and are low in acid yet incredible full in flavor.
We will explain why these coffees seldom find their way through the current import channels and corporate coffee companies to your table or local coffee shop. We will also demonstrate how hundreds of millions of people in Asia, Europe and across the world brew coffee - not in the ubiquitous Mr. Coffee drip machine or by popping a pod into a Keurig, but by using either a Coffee Press or a Southeast Asian Phin filer, a simple stainless steel one-cup drip brewer invented approximately 140 years ago.
You will then be able to use the Phin filter and French Press yourself to brew four coffees... in two cases you have the option of iced or hot. These will be small servings, so don't worry about becoming over-caffeinated! It's really a "tasting" event, so you can feel free to adjust your own caffeine intake.
After the brewing, you will be able to self-select your own take-home package of coffees from a number of choices, to reflect what you enjoyed the most. You will also receive a number of free samples of coffee and tea and take home a discount coupon for future purchases and a discount coupon for a future seminar for some other lucky coffee lover.
- What are Heirloom Coffees?
- Why do we source from Southeast Asia?
- What brewing methods will we use, and why?
- Is there such a thing as the "best" coffee? (Individual palates are all unique.)
- The four commercial species: Arabica, Robusta, Excelsa and Liberica
- Meet tonight's coffees
- Kopi Luwak (World's most unique and expensive coffee; organic) - from the Philippines
- Legendee (simulated Kopi Luwak and regionally famous Vietnamese coffee)
- (Endangered) Liberica - Philippines "Barako" coffee (we are the only USA importers)
- Sumatra Lintong - artisan coffee, incredibly fragrant and rich
- Meet our brewing methods
- Vietnamese Phin Filter/Brewer - single serving drip
- Coffee (French) Press - 3 cup steeping brewer
- Let's brew the coffees
- Participants will brew their own Kopi Luwak coffee in a French Press
- Participants will brew their own Legendee as Vietnamese iced coffee in a traditional Phin brewer
- Participants will brew Liberica in the French Coffee Press
- Participants will brew their own Sumatra Lintong in the French Coffee Press
- Demonstration ends. ~15 minutes for questions and choosing a customized take-home package.
Each participant gets:
- Their choice of a full-sized coffee that is in the genre of what they liked best
- One stainless steel Vietnamese Phin filter/brewer
- A pre-selected set of samples of coffee from Southeast Asia, including gourmet instant coffees and one-pot sample sizes of brewing coffees.
- A coupon with a 15% discount for a future purchase or purchase at time of event,
- And a second coupon for a 25% discount to a future Brewology event for a friend.